John Carroll University has partnered with The Work Number to provide more efficient employment and income verifications. University employees often need these verifications for transactions such as renting an apartment, seeking approval for a mortgage, or buying a car.
The Work Number is a fast and secure way to provide proof of your employment or income—a necessary step in many life events involving credit, financing, or securing benefits or services. The Work Number simplifies the verification process and accelerates credit decisions through an online system available to verifiers 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
More than 200,000 credentialed verifiers rely on The Work Number for rapid access to information, and more than 2,900 employers (including 257 in higher education) use The Work Number to provide this service.
Here’s how this service works:
1. John Carroll University transmits encrypted employment and income data securely to The Work Number on a regular cycle so the information remains current.
2. When you apply for credit or other services where proof of employment or income is required, you provide written consent to the credit grantor to verify that information when signing the application.
3. The verifier—who has been carefully screened and credentialed before gaining access to the system—uses the John Carroll University employer code (16131) and your Social Security Number to look up your record on The Work Number database.
4. The verifier must provide a valid reason or permissible purpose for requesting the information, as defined by the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
5. With the above conditions met, the verifier can validate your employment and income in seconds, accelerating the decision process.
The Work Number Client Service Center is available Monday to Friday, 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. (CT) at 800.367.2884 (for TTY—hearing impaired, call 800.424.0253).
The University’s Office of Human Resources will continue to provide employment and income verifications for verifiers that do not participate in The Work Number. If you have any questions about this service, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 216.397.4976.