Instructure has been working with Turnitin to improve the process of plagiarism detection in Canvas. Recently announced updates will be in place by the end of June and will improve the plagiarism detection experience in a number of ways. Until the updates and improvements are in place, it is important to note that the Turnitin LTI still includes a few limitations when creating assignments in Canvas:
– Student view is not currently supported.
– You cannot use Turnitin with group assignments.
– Turnitin assignments cannot include more than one submission date; differentiated due dates are not supported.
– Students cannot submit multiple file uploads.
– If you want to use a Canvas rubric for an assignment, you must add the rubric before setting the External Tool submission type.
Additional information about creating and managing Turnitin assignments in Canvas can be found at the following links:
– How do I create a Turnitin assignment? (https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-1799)
– How do I change Turnitin settings for an assignment? (https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-5480)
Please contact the Center for Digital Media (CDM) at 216.397.4930 (or firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have questions or would like to schedule a Turnitin consultation.