PEER MENTOR FOR FIRST-YEAR ADVISING:
JOB DESCRIPTION AND RESPONSIBILITIES
WHAT: The Office of Academic Advising seeks peer mentors from all academic majors to assist first-year students registered for AR 101 in making a successful transition to the University.
WHEN: Fall 2019
Job description and responsibilities:
• Approximately 10-12 hour commitment for fall term, including training during Streak Week and participation in activities on the day of Fall Convocation (Friday, August 30th).
• Collaborate with assigned faculty advisor in weekly AR 101 cohort advising meetings, with participation and activities as determined/requested by the faculty member. (Meetings held during first seven weeks of semester.)
• Be prepared to discuss transition to college, study skills, experience in choosing or changing majors, and other academically-relevant topics.
• Be available to address student questions or concerns via e-mail or text as requested.
• $100 Stipend provided at the end of the fall term, once all obligations have been met.
Qualifications for position:
• JCU students in good academic standing, with 2.5 or higher overall GPA preferred.
• Junior or senior standing, though strong sophomores also considered
• Two or more semesters of full-time enrollment at JCU required.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills required
• Excellent interpersonal skills; enjoys working with people
• Reliable and responsible
Please submit resume to Dr. Maryclaire Moroney (email@example.com) by May 10 to express interest in this opportunity.