VOLUNTEER INCOME TAX ASSISTANCE (VITA) PROGRAM
The federal volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program helps low to moderate income individuals and families prepare their income tax returns without paying fees to professional preparers. The VITA program serves low wage workers, particularly those in families with children, who may be eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC). The EITC is a major way to help alleviate poverty among greater Clevelanders. Last year, we helped provide needy families with millions of dollars of refunds.
* You do not have to be an accounting or business major!
* No pre-req, studying or exams. Graded pass/fail.
* Preparation is expected to be virtual in 2022 and returns will be completed in a campus classroom.
* All returns are reviewed before being finalized and you have no liability for any errors.
* 9:00 am – 3:30 p.m. (with lunch break) software and basic tax training on a Saturday TBD in late January.
* Work two additional Saturdays (lunch provided) for full credit. Weekdays can be made available.
* Finished by April 15, 2022.
* No additional tuition cost – for those otherwise registering for 18 hours a notation will appear on the transcript.
* Students can prepare their own tax return using the software.
* Register for the appropriate service learning course section based on class year:
*** AC 170/270/370/470 (1 credit)
*** AC 173/273/373/473 (0 credit)
CONTACT DR. WEINSTEIN FOR MORE INFORMATION; email@example.com